RE: Extended-Space attribute draft available

Barney Wolff <mailto:barney@databus.com> supposedly scribbled:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 07:10:35PM -0800, Glen Zorn (gwz) wrote:
>> On 2/27/2006 09:09 PM, Barney Wolff wrote:
>>> Greg Weber and I have written a draft defining an Extended-Space
>>> attribute.  Here's the abstract:
>>>
>>>    The RADIUS protocol is being extended beyond the wildest
>>>    imaginations of its original designers.
>>
>> Unless we worked at Livingston, I don't think we are the original
>> designers so how do we know what their wildest imaginations were?
>> OTOH, the kind of extensions happening now were certainly within the
>> wildest (or even mundane) imaginations of the RADIUS WG; their
>> pursuit was simply not allowed in that venue (thus the whole
>> NASREQ/Diameter fiasco).
>
> I certainly don't claim to be a designer of RADIUS.

Nor I.

> But I did join
> the list in Feb 1995, when RADIUS was at draft -02, and exchanged
> quite a lot of cordial email with Carl Rigney, and even some with
> Bill Simpson.

I don't recall when I joined the list, but I did attend the BOFs...

> I have too much respect for the designers to believe
> that had imaginations back then predicted the state of things more
> than a decade later there would have been no mechanism for extending
> Type and Length, at least.

IIRC, it was not a lack of imagination or vision on the part of Carl or Bill (a visionary if ever there was one!) but structural and political pressures that constrained the protocol design (kind of like now).

> Regards,
> Barney

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel