RE: PLEASE READ: RADEXT WG last call in progress on VLAN/Priority Draft

Dan Romascanu writes...

> It is not clear why 'point-to-point' is mentioned here seemingly as
> opposed to wireless. I believe that the point that is being made is
> about connecting to a point-to-point or shared LAN segment. I suggest
> replace this by:
>
>           A supplicant is an entity that is being authenticated by an
>           authenticator.  The supplicant may be connected to the
>           authenticator at one end of a point-to-point or shared LAN
>           segment

That is a good point.  I think that further clarification would be
desirable, however.  My recollection of IEEE 802.1X is that it applies
to ports, which may be point-to-point LAN links, or virtual ports on
shared media defined by a protected association.

So perhaps we could extend the suggested text, as follows:

           A supplicant is an entity that is being authenticated by an
           authenticator.  The supplicant may be connected to the
           authenticator at one end of a point-to-point LAN link or via
           a protected association over a shared LAN segment.