RE: New Technical Issues RE: WG last call in progress on VLAN/Priority Draft

Barney Wolff <mailto:barney@databus.com> supposedly scribbled:

>> Well, you can give me credit for being virtually the only person
>> saying that this is a Very Bad Idea...
>
> Credit would certainly be due if you would give your reasoning and it
> was convincing.

I have given my reasoning several times, but I will repeat myself again: the Diameter AVP structure was designed with the fact in mind that Diameter messages are virtually unlimited in length.  For this reason, the header could be as big as desired, with little concern for overhead.  RADIUS messages, however, are strictly constrained in length and I've not seen any realistic scheme for expanding them in a backwards-compatible fashion.  Attribute overhead _is_ an issue in RADIUS; every octet taken for an AVP header is one less available for actual data.  Although the use of a Diameter header would allow for larger attributes, the increase in overhead means that there is actually less space available for attributes.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel