Re: New Technical Issues RE: WG last call in progress on VLAN/Priority Draft

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:12:20PM -0800, Glen Zorn (gwz) wrote:

> Barney Wolff <> supposedly scribbled:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 12:47:17PM -0500, Avi Lior wrote:
> >>
> >> Also I resent somewhat the push now is so much that it ignores what
> >> we did a two years ago.  Based on discussion it was Jari who proposed
> >> encoding RADIUS attributes using Diameter syntax (I seem to recall
> >> that one of you guys were taking credit for that).
> >
> > Just so we're clear, Alan did not "take" credit for it.  I assigned
> > credit to him because that's how I first heard the idea, and indeed a
> > search of radext archives shows email from him suggesting it in Feb
> > 2005.  But of course, if you or Jari (or anyone) can point me to a
> > prior discussion of the idea of using the Diameter attribute header
> > format, I will be glad to correct the acknowledgment.
>
> Well, you can give me credit for being virtually the only person saying that this is a Very Bad Idea...

Virtually, perhaps, but count me in as well.

If DIAMETER would do all RADIUS is lacking, it would have known much
stronger adoption.

This WGs very existence, how reluctantly it was started, is testament
that people rather build upon RADIUS than look at DIAMETER for their
solutions.

I find it then entirely foolish to suggest that a blanket transport
mechanism for DIAMETER inside RADIUS would solve all our issues.

I find it incomprehensible that the DIAMETER format would not need any
evaluation against the alternatives on the merits, but that people can
just wave their hands and say, there's already some diameter parsing
code in many RADIUS server's that support TTLS in some form or other, so
hey, 'tis the only sensible road ahead.

Really, is that all we can muster these days?

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl