Re: radius dynauth client/server mibs structure

Hi Bert,

Thanks for these comments. We will limit the Address type to IPv4 and IPv6.

see more below

Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:

I checked both new documents.

You may want to check on page 7/8:
               Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2006).  Initial
               version as published in RFC yyyy;
               for full legal notices see the RFC its"
   -- RFC Ed.: replace yyyy with actual RFC number & remove this note

So I huess this sentence is incomplete: see the RFC its ???
Probably should be: see the RFC itself.

yes something went worng here with the last update of the draft and a part of the sentence disappeared.

- add sentence "This counter wraps from the maximum value to zero and is
reset upon system (re)initialization." for all counters of type
Counter32

Mmm... the "wraps from the max value to zero" is redundant, because
that is the behaviour of every Counter32 and Counter64. That is
already specified in RFC2578.
W.r.t "is reset upon system (re)initialization", that is not exactly
waht we wanted either. I do not know what you mean with "reset".
It is not REQUIRED that counter reset to sero (if that is what you mean).
They MAY do so, butnot required.
I think what you want to write is:

   This counter will only experience a discuntinuity when the system
   (re)starts as indicated by the value of sysUpTime.

Ok, I got the point. we will use this sentence and correct it for both docs.

Currently version 04 is already submitted, so we  will make it version 05.

Thanks,
Stefaan

- remove ref to IANA copyright.

thanks

- some minor formatting (line breaks in the mib)

OK

My comments to the other 4 mib docs (2618bis etc) also apply for your use of InetAddress and InetAddressType. I know I did say (in my point 3)
last time that this was acceptable for Informational RFC. But now that I
reviewed the other MIB modules and now that I am asking for the below
updates tyo those, it would be best to do so too for these 2
modules, in order to be consistent for all RADIUS related MIB modules.
So pls translate the following to your own objects and consider to
make similar changes:

-  radiusAuthServerInetAddress OBJECT-TYPE
         SYNTAX     InetAddress
         MAX-ACCESS read-only
         STATUS     current
         DESCRIPTION
               "The IP address of the RADIUS authentication
                server referred to in this table entry, using
                the version neutral IP address format."
         ::= { radiusAuthServerExtEntry 3 }

according to RFC4001, you MUST specify which object of SYNTAX InetAddressType controls the format of this object. I t is clear which one it is, b ut it would be good to add that.

- radiusAuthClientServerInetPortNumber
According to RFC4001, you must specify what the value zero means for this object.

- for this one
   radiusAuthClientExtMIBCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
        STATUS  current
        DESCRIPTION
              "The compliance statement for authentication
               clients implementing the RADIUS Authentication
               Client IPv6 Extensions MIB.  Implementation of
               this module is for entities that support IPv6,
               or support IPv4 and IPv6."
        MODULE  -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { radiusAuthClientExtMIBGroup }

        ::= { radiusAuthClientMIBCompliances 2 }
I think it would be better to do:

   radiusAuthClientExtMIBCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE
        STATUS  current
        DESCRIPTION
              "The compliance statement for authentication
               clients implementing the RADIUS Authentication
               Client IPv6 Extensions MIB.  Implementation of
               this module is for entities that support IPv6,
               or support IPv4 and IPv6."
        MODULE  -- this module
               MANDATORY-GROUPS { radiusAuthClientExtMIBGroup }

        OBJECT     radiusAuthServerInetAddressType
        SYNTAX     InetAddressType { ipv4(1), ipv6(2) }
        DESCRIPTION
           "An implementation is only required to support IPv4 and
            globally unique IPv6 addresses."

        OBJECT     radiusAuthServerInetAddress
SYNTAX InetAddress (SIZE(4|16)) DESCRIPTION
           "An implementation is only required to support IPv4 and
            globally unique IPv6 addresses."

Bert

I tried a diff but that output is rather messy, so I sent you the complete drafts.

Thanks,
Stefaan