Re: radius dynauth client/server mibs structure

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 10:18:07PM +0100, stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be wrote:

> >I think what you want to write is:
> >
> >   This counter will only experience a discuntinuity when the system
> >   (re)starts as indicated by the value of sysUpTime.
>
> Ok, I got the point. we will use this sentence and correct it for both docs.

Are you sure? I see two problems with the sentence above:

(a) sysUpTime does not record the system uptime; here is what RFC 3418
    tells us:

               "The time (in hundredths of a second) since the
               network management portion of the system was last
               re-initialized."

(b) are you really sure counters will not have a discontinuity if a
    RADIUS server is restarted? Counters which live in a Radius server
    (e.g. an embedded AgentX client) most likely won't be persistent...

Perhaps you really want to state that the counters use sysUpTime as
the discontinuity indicator and that any discontinuities the counters
may experience causes a reset of sysUpTime (if you really want this
behavior):

	This counter uses sysUpTime as the discontinuity indicator.
	Any discontinuity of this counter must cause a reset of
	sysUpTime.

Another option could be to use the relevant sysORUpTime object as the
discontinuity indicator but then this would require proper
implementation of the sysORTable and stupid managers will rely on the
default sysUpTime anyway (if they check for discontinuities at all).

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany