RE: Issue 196: User-Name Attribute

Bernard Aboba <> supposedly scribbled:

>> Who cares?  I'm not being facetious: if the value is unknown by the
>> client & unused by the >server, why does it matter what the value is?
>
> The lack of a User-Name attribute may prevent proxies from forwarding
> the Access-Request.  Also, some RADIUS servers will not be able to
> handle an Access-Request without a User-Name attribute.

Right, but it's my understanding (laboriously gained, yet perhaps still flawed) that the SIP proxy functionality was expected to deliver the SIP request to the destination realm; if the user has no account in that realm, they are simply out of luck.  This would seem to imply that RADIUS proxies are unnecessary, at least insofar as inter-realm routing is concerned.

> Note that this problem has been encountered before.  For example, in
> RFC 3579 there are situations in which the User-Name is not known,
> such as when the NAS does not send an EAP-Reuqest/Identity to
> initiate the EAP exchange (e.g. NAS could start off with an
> EAP-Request for a method, or could send an EAP-Start to the RADIUS
> server).  Despite this, RFC 3579 always fills in the User-Name
> attribute.
>
> RFC 3579 Section 2.1 recommends:
>
> "  If the NAS initially sends an EAP-Request for an
>    authentication method, and the peer identity cannot be determined
>    from the EAP-Response, then the User-Name attribute SHOULD be
>    determined by another means.  As noted in [RFC2865] Section 5.6, it
>    is recommended that Access-Requests use the value of the
>    Calling-Station-Id as the value of the User-Name attribute."

OK, I give up: how does the Calling-Station-Id help to route RADIUS packets?

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel