RE: Issue 196: User-Name Attribute

Right, but it's my understanding (laboriously gained, yet perhaps still flawed) that the SIP proxy >functionality was expected to deliver the SIP request to the destination realm; if the user has no >account in that realm, they are simply out of luck. This would seem to imply that RADIUS proxies >are unnecessary, at least insofar as inter-realm routing is concerned.

That might be correct, but it is still possible for proxies to be deployed within the destination realm, no?

OK, I give up: how does the Calling-Station-Id help to route RADIUS packets?

Presumably a RADIUS proxy determines that the Calling-Station-Id has been placed in the User-Name attribute by comparing it to the Calling-Station-Id, and then routes the request to the RADIUS server in the local realm.

Of course, I'm not clear that RFC 3579 implementations actually do this; most RADIUS clients always send an EAP-Request/Identity and so they always have something to put in the User-Name attribute (except if the client responds with a null EAP-Response/Identity).

This specification seems unique in that the RADIUS client will *never* have something to put in the User-Name attribute, so this is no longer a corner condition.