Issue 170: Precedence and Order for NAS-Filter-Rule

Greg stated...

>At the very end of Section 2.5 on NAS-Filter-Rule,
>it says that the NAS can apply rules of its own before
>rules supplied via the interface in this document.
>I didn't understand the ordering and precedence
>between filters originated from the different sources.

I see your point.  The thought was not to give complete treatment to all
possible active rules sets (i.e. those specified by RADIUS, those configured
locally, those rule the PEP enforces because of security considerations),
but at least acknowledge that other active rules do exist and that they may
influence the ultimate forwarding decision.  What if the statement in
question were changed as follows?

"A NAS MAY apply deny rules of its own before the supplied rules, for
example to protect the access device owner's infrastructure."

"A NAS MAY apply additional rules (deny, redirect, etc.) of its own before,
in between, or after rules specified with NAS-Traffic-Rule.  For example,
these additional rules may protect the access device owner's infrastructure.
Management of these additional rules is out of scope and are not subject to
the semantics or behaviors described for NAS-Traffic-Rule."

>Is that covered somewhere?  If the server sends a
>flush-rule via CoA-Request, does that remove the
>NAS originated (configured) rules?  The text is implying

By NAS originated do you mean those rule sets not assigned via the RADIUS
interface?  If so, then the answer is no.  The process of assignment,
updates, and flushing only affect those rules controlled by RADIUS.

>that the rules are applied in specific order based on
>type, e.g. HTTP filter rules are last.  What if the NAS
>defines the HTTP filter rule, and other types come via
>CoA?  What's the order then?  This seems like an area
>of likely implementation confusion.

If that HTTP filter was not assigned through the RADIUS interface, then
flushes and CoA messages have no effect on it.

The guidelines for rule ordering are only relevant for those controlled via
this RADIUS specification.  I see it as out of scope on mandating how
non-RADIUS rules should behave.

>Requested change:
>I think the precedence of locally configured rules
>relative to dynamic updates needs to be clarified.
>It might also be useful to treat this in the examples
>of Appendix B.  This seems similar to Issue 107
>related to Acct-Interim-Interval.  The NAS owner needs
>to be able to protect his resources, and the server
>owner needs predictable results for dynamic updates.

MS

Mauricio Sanchez, CISSP
Network Security Architect
ProCurve Networking Business