Re: The RADIUS attribute space: an assessment

"Glen Zorn \(gwz\)" <gwz@cisco.com> wrote:
> This is a red herring: any vendor that can't keep the same interfaces
> for RADIUS while supporting Diameter doesn't deserve to be in business.

  You're joking, right?

  As far as I can tell, counting by the number of deployments,
FreeRADIUS is the #2 RADIUS server on the planet.  Maybe by your logic
the project doesn't "deserve to be in business".  But sticking your
head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist won't change things.

  The reality is that many people who've deployed RADIUS *don't* have
an upgrade path to Diameter.  They don't have a free Diameter server
they can use, and they don't have the budget to buy a commercial one.
Even if they did have the budget to buy a commercial one, it would
have significantly fewer features than the RADIUS server they're using
right now.

  If you want to push Diameter, the best thing you could do is to fund
the development of an Open Source Diameter server with a massive
feature set, followed by ensuring that all NAS equipment supports
Diameter.

  Until that happens, Diameter will continue to languish.