RE: The RADIUS attribute space: an assessment

Alan DeKok <> supposedly scribbled:

> "Greg Weber \(gdweber\)" <gdweber@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Do you have any more info about what makes Diameter difficult to
>> deploy?  Is it security setup? config changes?
>> Or just that any change at all is difficult?
>
>   A large part is that any change is difficult.
>
>   A similar part is the comment about Open Source servers.  Let's not
> underestimate the number of AAA server deployments that happen
> because someone had a spare whitebox, and a few hours to play around.
>
>   Also, capital costs show up in budgets, and incur pushback from
> accounting types.  Time spent on salaries is less problematic,
> because the perception is that those costs are already accounted for.
>
>> Is Diameter more difficult to deploy than IPsec protected RADIUS?
>
>   Absolutely.  Diameter involves an upgrade of your existing RADIUS
> server to, what exactly?  Something without LDAP/SQL/foo support,
> that include your custom batch files or Perl scripts?
>
>   That doesn't sell well.
>
>   In constrast, RADIUS + IPSec is an incremental approach over what
> people have now.  If people already have both systems separately
> deployed, it's simply integration, which is fairly simple.
>
>>  More difficult than RADIUS with CoA?
>
>   A lot of people don't use CoA, so that isn't a problem.  And for
> the people who do, most don't proxy CoA packets around the Internet.
> Instead, they run a script with a dumb RADIUS client that sends
> packets to the NAS, on the local network.
>
>   RADIUS server upgrade for CoA?  Who needs that?

You are making an excellent argument for _not_ extending RADIUS.

>   Oh... the large telecom providers, who *do* send CoA packets
> backwards across the net, through chains of proxies.  But there's a
> better way: Diameter.
>
>   So once again, they deploy Diameter, and no one else does.

That's just fine: I happen to think that RADIUS is a great protocol within its limitations & I certainly wouldn't suggest that everyone on Earth rip out RADIUS & replace it w/Diameter.  However, saying that (which seems to be about what you are saying, too) hardly implies that we need to continue to patch, stretch & mutilate _standard_ RADIUS into some twisted simalcrum of Diameter.  There are doubtless many applications for which RADIUS _as it is_ is & always will be the best choice; all I'm saying is let's leave it at that & move on.  Maybe it's "self-congratulatory", maybe even self-aggrandizing, but I'd just like to note that the problem under discussion (the exhaustion of the RADIUS attribute space, if you'll recall) has already been solved.

>   Alan DeKok.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel