Re: Genart review of RFC 3756 MIBs

From: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
To: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
CC: stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be, radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Gen-art] Re: Genart review of
draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-server-mib-05
/ draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-client-mib-05

Ron, it seems clear that the -06 versions are OK then, no need for
a real re-review.

   Brian

Ron Bonica wrote:
Ok. In that case, you are fine. The MIB Rx is the MIB Doctor Review
group. Your AD will introduce you to them somewhere in the process.

                     Ron

stefaan.de_cnodder@alcatel.be wrote:

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the review, see below for some answers

Ron Bonica wrote:

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for:
draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-server-mib-05
         -and-
draft-ietf-radext-dynauth-client-mib-05

For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html.
you may receive.

This draft is ready for publication as a Standards Track document,
except for the following nit:

In fact, the 2 documents are informational.

- The client MIB contains a note to the RFC editor about the reference
[DYNSERV]. However, there is no such reference.

I checked it and the client MIB is Ok, in the server MIB it seems that
the RFC ed note is incorrect and [DYNSERV] should be replaced by
[DYNCLNT]. The references in both of the drafts are correct, with the
exception of the RFC ed note in the server MIB.

And two substantial questions:

- Can I assume that it has passed MIB Rx Review? (It compiles clean).

Not sure what MIB Rx review is. I compliled the MIB with Smilent.

- Should this MIB *ever* be used in conjuntion with SNMPv1? I know that
you *recommend* against it. But it seems that divulging the information
in this mib to a hostile party might be pretty bad.

http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-security.html contains preformatted text for
the security section and that text was put in the draft. See the text on
that webpage in the section "-- else if there are no read-write objects
in your MIB module". The text in the draft is more or less a copy/paste
from that webpage. Also the other Radius MIBs like
draft-ietf-radext-rfc2618bis-03.txt are also following the guidelines on
the mentioned webpage.

regards,
Stefaan

                                     Ron