Re: Consensus Call: "Sense of the Room" at RADEXT WG meeting at IETF 66

"Bernard Aboba" <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The "sense of the room" in the RADEXT WG meeting at IETF 66 was that:
>
> * Exhaustion of the RADIUS standard attribute space is a problem that should
> be solved.
> * RADEXT WG is the place to solve the problem.
> * The attribute exhaustion problem should be the focus -- not adding other
> capabilities to RADIUS (such as support for the Diameter data types).

  I agree to all three points.

> In reviewing the potential solutions to the problem, the people present at
> the meeting appeared to strongly favor a RADIUS extension approach such as
> that outlined by Lior & Li (RADIUS attribute extension), over the current
> proposals for adding Diameter AVP support to RADIUS (Wolff & Weber and
> Mitton proposals).  Some of the reasoning behind this was that adding
> support for Diameter AVP parsing and dictionary support would involve a
> substantial portion of the effort to develop a Diameter server, whereas
> simply adding support for an extended space vwould involve less effort, and
> would therefore be more likely to be deployed.

  I support extending the RADIUS attribute space.

  I also think that the *format* (i.e. encoding) of the extended
attribute space is a separate issue to extending RADIUS with Diameter
features.  i.e. TTLS uses the Diameter AVP format, but few to none of
the features.  A few hundred lines of code are sufficient to implement
Diameter AVP encoding, which mitigates concerns over parsing &
dictionary support.

  To put it another way, we should standardize on the extended format
first, and explicitely reject any attempt to mingle the work on
extended attribute space with additional work like grouping and new
data types.  Once we have a larger attribute space standardized, later
documents can add features for those applications that need them.