RE: [Isms] RE: Follow up on Authorize Only issue

Nelson, David <mailto:dnelson@enterasys.com> supposedly scribbled:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman writes...
>
>> Overloading Service-Type in this way was almost certainly a mistake;
>
> Perhaps.
>
>> ...as you note, it prevents the attribute for being used for its
>> intended purpose, ...
>
> In this case, providing a service hint.
>
>> I think this is up to radext to fix; possibilities I can think of are
>> defining an "authorize-only" authentication mechanism, or defininig
>> a new attribute which carries the value that Service-Type would have
>> had.
>
> One suggestion that comes to mind is to create a new attribute called
> Asserted-Identity, which could be empty.  In RADIUS, the
> authentication method is implicitly selected by the inclusion of the
> corresponding credential-bearing attribute(s), such as User-Password,
> CHAP-Password, EAP-Message, etc.  Asserted-Identity could be the
> attribute which selects the Authorize Only authentication method.

Aside from the fact that "Authorize Only" is hardly an authentication method, it seems a bit silly to define a new attribute to indicate that other attributes are missing.  The absence of User-Password, etc. would seem to be enough to implicitly select authorize-only...

>> I must note, BTW, that if you are trying to restrict what
>> information the RADIUS server gives out because you don't trust the
>> NAS, then giving out informaton based on what service the NAS claims
>> it is providing, or what port type the NAS claims the user came in
>> on, is kind of silly.

What's actually silly is talking about untrusted NASen at all: if a RADIUS client that has a valid shared secret has been compromised, life is pretty much over anyway.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel