RE: [Isms] RE: Follow up on Authorize Only issue

Glen Zorn writes...

> Aside from the fact that "Authorize Only" is hardly an authentication
> method,  ...

It's been described as the "null" authentication method, purely from a
conceptual viewpoint.

> ... it seems a bit silly to define a new attribute to indicate that
> other attributes are missing.  The absence of User-Password, etc.
would
> seem to be enough to implicitly select authorize-only...

Well, the new attribute need not be empty.  I could contain an identity
string, for auditing purposes.

I think that the use of User-Name to contain the auditing information
(as you posited in a separate post) is problematic.  I also think that
omitting the User-Name as the only way to signal Authorize Only is also
problematic.  The problems I see are with existing RADIUS server
implementations.  Since the _presence_ of a particular kind of
credential-bearing attribute has always selected the authentication
method, I'm concerned about the backwards compatibility aspects of
simply omitting any such.  Perhaps others have thoughts on this?

I believe that the presence of User-Name already has a well defined
semantics.  I am concerned that the omission of User-Name may have
muddled semantics, given RFC 3576 implementations.  In RFC 3576 the
Service-Type of Authorize Only in an Access-Request provides that
signal.  We wish to use a Service-Type of Framed-Management (or some
such) in the ISMS use case, so we need another attribute to signal
Authorize Only.

> What's actually silly is talking about untrusted NASen at all: if a
RADIUS
> client that has a valid shared secret has been compromised, life is
pretty
> much over anyway.

I think we have rough consensus on that point.