RE: [Isms] RE: Follow up on Authorize Only issue

Nelson, David <mailto:dnelson@enterasys.com> supposedly scribbled:

> Glen Zorn writes...
>
>>> If this attribute is used for its intended purpose, to allow the
>>> RADIUS server to know what service to provision, then it cannot also
>>> be used to indicate authorize-only mode.
>
>> Too late, it already is.
>
> Yes, for the Dynamic RADIUS Change of Authorization use case, as
> specified in RFC 3576.  It has no formally specified usage outside
> 3576, that I recall.  We need not use that method for the "general"
> authorization only case.  We could devise a new method, such as the
> Asserted-Identity attribute, and relegate the Service-Type =
> "Authorize Only" usage to CoA only.

We could, but it seems like a waste of attribute space since the value if any would of necessity be identical to that carried by the User-Name Attribute.

> I tend to agree with Jeff that this portion if RFC 3576 was probably
> a "mistake".

Perhaps, but if so, it lines up very well with the original definition of the Service-Type Attribute.  In fact, I can't find any trace of the architectural purity imputed to the Attribute by Jeff: only some of the values of Service-Type are related to service as he has defined it.  Although I wasn't involved (except as a critic ;-) with the development of RFC 3576 either, it would make perfect sense to me to add a value of "Authorize Only" to an Attribute that already had values of "Authenticate Only" & "Call Check" defined, the latter being purely authorizational in character.

> I can say that as I had nothing to do with that
> document.  Whether it was or wasn't, we are not obligated to carry
> that particular usage into other areas of application for RADIUS.

Hope this helps,

~gwz

Why is it that most of the world's problems can't be solved by simply
  listening to John Coltrane? -- Henry Gabriel