RE: Questions on RADIUS Extended attributes

I know that a couple of people stated that preference on the list recently, but without any technical justification.

I think there may have been some concern about compatibility with existing RADIUS servers, since the format proposed in the Lior & Li draft utilized a larger Extended-Type field (32 bits) than was suggested for the VSA format in RFC 2865.

Is it really necessary to do more than double the number of standard attributes? That is what the >VSA approach would do, without requiring code changes...

I think the implicit assumption here is that the VSA approach (Vendor-Id of 0) would utilize the VSA format described in RFC 2865 (single octet Type field). However, the Lior & Li proposal was for a larger Extended-Type space, and I presume that this would require code changes.

In combination with the tagging scheme (or something very similar) you mentioned in a recent >message, the "VSA Zero" approach solves this problem, as well.

RFC 2865 states that more than one vendor-specific attribute can be included within a RADIUS attribute of Type 26. However, I don't think it describes how vendor-specific attributes can be split across RADIUS attributes of Type 26. One way to address this is via a tagging scheme. I think the question is whether we'd want to *require* tags in each Extended attribute, or not.