RE: Issue: Diameter-RADIUS gateway behavior not completely specified

Barney Wolff <mailto:barney@databus.com> scribbled on Saturday, August
26, 2006 6:16 PM:

> Sigh.  It seems to me that 3588 4.1 at least in spirit says that a
> gateway getting an attribute with an M-bit that it cannot for
> whatever reason translate, MUST reject the message.

In this case it would be handy if it did, but it doesn't & interpreting
it that way would violate the M-bit semantics, IMHO.

> I would truly
> hate to have to specify gateway behavior for each attribute type, and
> hate even more having to implement type-specific behavior, just to
> handle message overflow - or, for that matter, for any other reason.

Unfortunately, this problem seems to be the "elephant in the corner" of
RADIUS-Diameter interop: everybody knows about it (presupposing simple
arithmetic ability) but nobody wants to talk about it...

Hope this helps,

~gwz