Re: Issue: Diameter-RADIUS gateway behavior not completely specified

On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 04:25:21PM -0700, Glen Zorn (gwz) wrote:
> Barney Wolff <mailto:barney@databus.com> scribbled on Saturday, August
> 26, 2006 4:00 PM:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 26, 2006 at 01:45:00PM -0700, Glen Zorn (gwz) wrote:
> >> Barney Wolff <mailto:barney@databus.com> scribbled on Saturday,
> >> August 26, 2006 12:34 PM:

> >> Not sure how the M-bit helps.  Can you elaborate?
> >
> > Sorry, I thought it was obvious:  An attribute lacking the M-bit may
> > legitimately be ignored, so may be eliminated in translation.  Not so
> > if the M-bit is set.
>
> Right, but RFC 4005 says that the M-bit MUST be set on the
> NAS-Filter-Rule AVP...

Sigh.  It seems to me that 3588 4.1 at least in spirit says that a gateway
getting an attribute with an M-bit that it cannot for whatever reason
translate, MUST reject the message.  I would truly hate to have to specify
gateway behavior for each attribute type, and hate even more having to
implement type-specific behavior, just to handle message overflow - or,
for that matter, for any other reason.

--
Barney Wolff         I never met a computer I didn't like.