Re: Consensus Call on RADEXT WG re-charter

Hi,

> First, the WG would have to _define_ RADIUS "the application protocol",
> since it doesn't exist w/o reference to the underlying transport.  Maybe
> you have your own reasons for not wanting to change the name, but I do
> wish that this charade of claiming "backward compatibility" would come
> to an end.  Even the creators of RADSEC have conceded that it's not
> RADIUS, why can't you?

Well, in case you are referring to me in IETF-71, I admitted that there are
non-trivial operational differences between the two transports, and that the
characteristics of a stateful transport need to taken into account properly.
That makes it *different from RADIUS over UDP*, but not substantially
different from RADIUS *at all*. Even you conceded to saying that the
innermost PDU still remains as it is, so if nothing else, there is a core of
RADIUS embedded. And I would be surprised if you don't see yourself that
backwards compatibility is considerably easier if this PDU can be repackaged
into a new transport without changing it (except the changes that any RADIUS
apcket undergoes anyway on a RADIUS proxy, re-signing with its own shared
secret).

In general, I see this discussion "is it different or not?" as rather
pointless in the real world. Whatever one's perceived opinion or perceived
outcome is, it doesn't change anything in the protocol itself.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
Stefan WINTER

Stiftung RESTENA - Réseau Téléinformatique de l'Education Nationale et de
la Recherche
Ingenieur Forschung & Entwicklung

6, rue Richard Coudenhove-Kalergi
L-1359 Luxembourg