RE: Issue 282: cert validation, proposed text

Hi Stefan,

Some comments below.

[Joe] Where is the SRV entry present in the certificate?  What does it look like? What is the value in the certificate validated against?

>        *  Implementations SHOULD indicate their acceptable
> Certification
>           Authorities as per section 7.4.4 (server side) and x.y.z
>           ["Trusted CA Indication"] (client side) of [RFC5246] (see
>           Section 3.1 (1) )
>
>        *  Implementations SHOULD allow to configure a list of
> acceptable
>           certificates, identified via certificate fingerprint.

[Joe] I would suggest specifying a format for interop here.  You might want to take a look at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-14 which is somewhat similar and has some text on fingerprint matching.

>        *  Peer validation always includes a check on whether the DNS
>           name or the IP address of the server that is
> contacted matches
>           its certificate.  DNS names and IP addresses can be
> contained
>           in the Common Name (CN) or subjectAltName entries.  For
>           verification, only one these entries is to be
> considered.  The
>           following precedence applies: for DNS name validation,
>           subjectAltName:DNS has precedence over CN; for IP address
>           validation, subjectAltName:iPAddr has precedence over CN.

[Joe] In the syslog document referenced above we made it mandatory to support subjectAltName:DNSname matching.   Other places for the identity are allowed.

>        *  Implementations SHOULD allow to configure a set of
> acceptable
>           values for subjectAltName:URI.

[Joe] What does the URI look like?