RE: IESG review DISCUSS on draft-ietf-radext-management-authorization-06.txt

Dave Nelson wrote:

> The attributes that have variability are the NAS-ID and NAS-Port-ID,
> which are basically as you have indicated -- human readable strings
> with no specific recommended format.  I have to think that these
> attributes were (a) intended for use in accounting, where they are
> simply logged verbatim for humans to inspect later on or (b) were
> intended for use in authentication and/or or authorization
> decisions, in some vendor-specific fashion.  The RFCs don't give us
> any guidance here.
>
> If there are (b) usages, it might be nice to standardize them
> someday.  The point we were making was that it's not directly
> related to the NAS Management Authorization work, and it's something
> that may be very difficult to achieve consensus on, given the large
> diversity of implementations over a large number of years.  In sort,
> the authors feel that it would be unreasonable to hold *this* draft
> accountable for solving that problem.

I was not asking this draft to fully solve the problems about
NAS-Port-Id.

I was asking a very specific suggestion: given that many NASes
implementing this specification will probably send the IP address
(and possibly port number) of the SSH/NETCONF/etc. client *somewhere*
in the Access-Request packet, should the document give some guidance
on what attribute/format could be used?

Do I understand correctly that you think it's better to *not*
give any guidance, leaving each vendor to do things differently?
(remembering that we're talking about new NASes that implement
the attributes from this draft, not old stuff)

Best regards,
Pasi