RE: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-radext-design

Thanks for your comments.

Design Guidelines has a normative dependency on the Extended Attributes document, which currently uses a 16-bit vendor type field.  Given that Extended Attributes will require that RADIUS servers support a 16-bit vendor-type field for IETF-defined extended attributes, it isn't much of a stretch to recommend that RADIUS servers support a 16-bit type field for vendor and SDO-specific attributes as well, since Extended Attributes is based on the VSA format.

The question is whether that recommendation belongs in this document, which is a BCP, or whether it should go into the Extended Attributes document (Proposed Standard) instead, and just be referred to in Design Guidelines.  Consolidating protocol changes into the Extended Attribute document might be cleaner, particularly since it is Extended Attributes that will provide much of the motivation for vendors to add 16-bit vendor type support.

With respect to "replacement" of the 8-bit vendor-type field with a 16-bit vendor type recommendation, my take on the text in 2.3 is that while it recommends RADIUS server support for 16-bit vendor type fields, it doesn't make a blanket recommendation that vendors adopt a 16-bit vendor type field in all situations, but rather points out situations in which use of a 16-bit vendor type field would be appropriate:
   Note that the Vendor type field in the recommended VSA format is only
a single octet, like the RADIUS type field. While this limitation
results in an efficient encoding, there are situations in which a
vendor or SDO will eventually wish to define more than 255
attributes. Also, an SDO can be comprised of multiple subgroups,
each of whom can desire autonomy over the definition of attributes
within their group. In such a situation, a 16-bit Vendor type field
would be more appropriate: