RE: DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-radext-design

Here is the normative language in Section 2.3:

   In order to be compatible with the above recommendations for
   attribute definitions, it is RECOMMENDED that RADIUS servers support
   attributes using a 16-bit Vendor type field.

IMHO, this doesn't suggest replacing 8-bit with 16-bit vendor type fields,
only that RADIUS servers should support 16-bit as well.

Earlier text discusses the situations in which 16-bit vendor type fields are needed:

   Note that the Vendor type field in the recommended VSA format is only
   a single octet, like the RADIUS type field.  While this limitation
   results in an efficient encoding, there are situations in which a
   vendor or SDO will eventually wish to define more than 255
   attributes.  Also, an SDO can be comprised of multiple subgroups,
   each of whom can desire autonomy over the definition of attributes
   within their group.  In such a situation, a 16-bit Vendor type field
   would be more appropriate...