RE: Chargeable-User-Identity

Alan DeKok [mailto://aland@deployingradius.com] writes:

> Glen Zorn wrote:
> > What is being "protected" seem not to be so much the _idea_ of data-
> driven
> > dictionaries but the existing, simplistic _implementations_
> thereof...
>
>   Let's look at the statistics.  For the dictionaries I have:
>
> attributes:		4294
> 	integer		2045
> 	text		1606
> 	ipaddr		278
> 	string		259
> 	byte		40	(unsigned 8-bit integer)
> 	date		30
>  	ipv6addr	15
> 	short		14	(unsigned 16-bit integer)
> 	ascend filter	6	(Ascend)
> 	ipv4/ipv6addr	5	(ipv4 or ipv6 address)
> 	ifid		4
> 	ipv6prefix	3
> 	signed		1	(signed 32-bit int)
>
>   13 data types in wide use, of which 5 are vendor extensions.
>
>   The "complex" attributes have all been lumped together into the
> "string" category.  All together, they account for about 6% of
> attributes.
>
>   This means that about 95% of the attributes in wide use follow the
> RADIUS data model, as described in the guidelines document.
>
>   That's good evidence that the data model is not only in wide use, but
> that it is widely useful.

What does this have to do with whether or not "complex" attributes can be
handled by a dictionary-based server?

> > If, after 9+ years of the existence of so-called "complex"
> attributes, your
> > programmers haven't managed to create a simple data-driven machine to
> parse
> > them, maybe you need new programmers...
>
>   The design guidelines is opposed to the *gratuitous* use of complex
> types.  Such use indicates that you've hired people who prefer complex
> solutions to simple ones.

I'm unaware of any technical usage for the word "gratuitous"; it seems most
useful in the context of a value judgment.  Aside from that, your response
seems to be (again) utterly disconnected from my assertion.