RE: IPv6 Address Option

Bernard Aboba [mailto:bernard_aboba@hotmail.com]  writes:

WRT this document, section 6 of RFC 2119 (sorry about the typo above) seems relevant:

6. Guidance in the use of these Imperatives

   Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care

   and sparingly.  In particular, they MUST only be used where it is

   actually required for interoperation or to limit behavior which has

   potential for causing harm (e.g., limiting retransmisssions)  For

   example, they must not be used to try to impose a particular method

   on implementors where the method is not required for

   interoperability.

[BA] Are there specific uses of normative language in the document that you believe are inappropriate?

With the caveat that it’s been some time since I read the draft, based upon my last review I’d have to say virtually all the uses of RFC 2119 requirements language in the document are problematic.  I plan to go through the note in depth again this week.  There is a lot of nonsense in it which I had mistakenly considered innocuous blather, easily ignored (they are “guidelines”, after all).  However,  at some point during the final discussions before the publication of RFC 5580 I realized that the document, far from being a set of harmless suggestions on style, was in fact a club to be used by pompous asses to keep people from getting real work done.  If you recall, my major arguments against the attributes defined in 5580 were based upon non-compliance w/the Design Guidelines document (yes, that would make me one of those pompous asses & I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to the authors of RFC 5580, the geopriv WG and the IESG for my misguided behavior).  In fact, though, there was nothing technically wrong with the geopriv attributes: they would have worked just fine, thank you.  Their only sin was deviation from a set of rules based upon a highly suspect historical characterization of RADIUS development and a simplistic (if not downright primitive processing model).  At any rate, removing the RFC 2119 language from the draft would go a long way toward making the document truly harmless.