RE: IPv6

Alan DeKok [mailto://aland@deployingradius.com] writes:

> Wojciech Dec (wdec) wrote:
> > Guess someone forgot to add a character encoding set limitation to
> the
> > definition of "string" above. Without it, any sequence of 1-253
> octets
> > falls neatly under the "a string".
>
>   Is this a joke?
>
>   Here's a short explanation, as it's clear you are completely
> unfamiliar with RADIUS.

Well, _someone_ is...

>   RADIUS attributes are typed.

In your mind, perhaps; in the real world (where RFC 2865 exists), one may
read page after page without ever seeing an attribute "typed".  A brief
example:

5.4.  NAS-IP-Address

   Description

      This Attribute indicates the identifying IP Address of the NAS
      which is requesting authentication of the user, and SHOULD be
      unique to the NAS within the scope of the RADIUS server. NAS-IP-
      Address is only used in Access-Request packets.  Either NAS-IP-
      Address or NAS-Identifier MUST be present in an Access-Request
      packet.

      Note that NAS-IP-Address MUST NOT be used to select the shared
      secret used to authenticate the request.  The source IP address of
      the Access-Request packet MUST be used to select the shared
      secret.

   A summary of the NAS-IP-Address Attribute format is shown below.  The
   fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |     Type      |    Length     |            Address
            Address (cont)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      4 for NAS-IP-Address.

   Length

      6

   Address

      The Address field is four octets.

5.5.  NAS-Port

   Description

      This Attribute indicates the physical port number of the NAS which
      is authenticating the user.  It is only used in Access-Request
      packets.  Note that this is using "port" in its sense of a
      physical connection on the NAS, not in the sense of a TCP or UDP
      port number.  Either NAS-Port or NAS-Port-Type (61) or both SHOULD
      be present in an Access-Request packet, if the NAS differentiates
      among its ports.

   A summary of the NAS-Port Attribute format is shown below.  The
   fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |     Type      |    Length     |             Value
              Value (cont)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      5 for NAS-Port.

   Length

      6

   Value

      The Value field is four octets.

5.6.  Service-Type

   Description

      This Attribute indicates the type of service the user has
      requested, or the type of service to be provided.  It MAY be used
      in both Access-Request and Access-Accept packets.  A NAS is not
      required to implement all of these service types, and MUST treat
      unknown or unsupported Service-Types as though an Access-Reject
      had been received instead.

   A summary of the Service-Type Attribute format is shown below.  The
   fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |     Type      |    Length     |             Value
              Value (cont)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      6 for Service-Type.

   Length

      6

   Value

      The Value field is four octets.

       2      Framed
       3      Callback Login
       4      Callback Framed
       5      Outbound
       6      Administrative
       7      NAS Prompt
       8      Authenticate Only
       9      Callback NAS Prompt
      10      Call Check
      11      Callback Administrative

      The service types are defined as follows when used in an Access-
      Accept.  When used in an Access-Request, they MAY be considered to
      be a hint to the RADIUS server that the NAS has reason to believe
      the user would prefer the kind of service indicated, but the
      server is not required to honor the hint.

      Login               The user should be connected to a host.

      Framed              A Framed Protocol should be started for the
                          User, such as PPP or SLIP.

      Callback Login      The user should be disconnected and called
                          back, then connected to a host.

      Callback Framed     The user should be disconnected and called
                          back, then a Framed Protocol should be started
                          for the User, such as PPP or SLIP.

      Outbound            The user should be granted access to outgoing
                          devices.

      Administrative      The user should be granted access to the
                          administrative interface to the NAS from which
                          privileged commands can be executed.

      NAS Prompt          The user should be provided a command prompt
                          on the NAS from which non-privileged commands
                          can be executed.

      Authenticate Only   Only Authentication is requested, and no
                          authorization information needs to be returned
                          in the Access-Accept (typically used by proxy
                          servers rather than the NAS itself).

      Callback NAS Prompt The user should be disconnected and called
                          back, then provided a command prompt on the
                          NAS from which non-privileged commands can be
                          executed.

      Call Check          Used by the NAS in an Access-Request packet to
                          indicate that a call is being received and
                          that the RADIUS server should send back an
                          Access-Accept to answer the call, or an
                          Access-Reject to not accept the call,
                          typically based on the Called-Station-Id or
                          Calling-Station-Id attributes.  It is
                          recommended that such Access-Requests use the
                          value of Calling-Station-Id as the value of
                          the User-Name.

      Callback Administrative
                          The user should be disconnected and called
                          back, then granted access to the
                          administrative interface to the NAS from which
                          privileged commands can be executed.

5.7.  Framed-Protocol

   Description

      This Attribute indicates the framing to be used for framed access.
      It MAY be used in both Access-Request and Access-Accept packets.

   A summary of the Framed-Protocol Attribute format is shown below.
   The fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |     Type      |    Length     |             Value
              Value (cont)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      7 for Framed-Protocol.

   Length

      6

   Value

      The Value field is four octets.

      1      PPP
      2      SLIP
      3      AppleTalk Remote Access Protocol (ARAP)
      4      Gandalf proprietary SingleLink/MultiLink protocol
      5      Xylogics proprietary IPX/SLIP
      6      X.75 Synchronous

5.8.  Framed-IP-Address

   Description

      This Attribute indicates the address to be configured for the
      user.  It MAY be used in Access-Accept packets.  It MAY be used in
      an Access-Request packet as a hint by the NAS to the server that
      it would prefer that address, but the server is not required to
      honor the hint.

   A summary of the Framed-IP-Address Attribute format is shown below.
   The fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   |     Type      |    Length     |            Address
            Address (cont)         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      8 for Framed-IP-Address.

   Length

      6

   Address

      The Address field is four octets.  The value 0xFFFFFFFF indicates
      that the NAS Should allow the user to select an address (e.g.
      Negotiated).  The value 0xFFFFFFFE indicates that the NAS should
      select an address for the user (e.g. Assigned from a pool of
      addresses kept by the NAS).  Other valid values indicate that the
      NAS should use that value as the user's IP address.

> The list of types is small.  Each type
> is statically defined in an RFC.

In what RFC is the "8-bit Tag + 24-bit Integer" "data type" defined?  That's
easy, none.  The fact that some implementations _treat_ it as a "data type"
doesn't make it so, since there are other ways to implement a tag.

> RADIUS implementations use these
> definitions to determine how to manipulate the attributes (parse,
> print,
> wire-encode, wire-decode).  The types cannot be changed, because they
> have existing definitions.  Defining new encoding/decode means defining
> new types... because you can't encode the OLD type in a NEW way, and
> you
> can't encode the NEW type in the OLD way.
>
>   Otherwise... please suggest how implementations can do the
> impossible,
> and encode these new attributes using a novel format, without adding a
> new encoding method.
>
> > That said, rfc 3162 clearly already
> > has a "call it whatever you want" data-type for "Framed-IPv6-Prefix",
> > which happens to be the same type of data as in the IPv6-Prefix in
> > draft-lourdelet.
>
>   Absolute nonsense.  Framed-IPv6-Prefix has a different on-the-wire
> format than IPv6-prefix.  Therefore, they are different data types.

Alan, who's spouting nonsense here?  Are you claiming that entire attributes
are "data types" now?

> > The odd one out is probably the IPv6-Route-Option-Preference in
> > draft-lourdelet, which has an rfc4191 derived 2 bit signed integer.
> No
> > problem in changing that to a simple signed integer, while
> restricting
> > the values.
>
>   RADIUS has no support for signed integers.  See:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-radext-design-08
>
>   I suggest reading the document before posting any more confusion
> about
> data types in RADIUS.  It describes the

DeKok