Re: Welcome!

dan wrote:

> I think this is exactly the right mailing list for that discussion.
> How does that approach differ from having private ENUM servers, each
> with their own .e164.arpa zone files, that you would add to your DNS
> servers?

that would lead to chaos.  imagine the "search" directive of
/etc/resolv.conf and then imagine that it has one element for every
participant.  if 10000 enterprises wanted to share their SIP
reachability then each one would have to make up to 10000 queries every
time they wanted to discover the existence of a tdm bypass -- and since
this approach would allow overlaps, conflicts would be resolved by search
order.  chaos and madness, let's not do it that way.

> Also, there's talk of the official .1 root delegation happening this
> year.  Do you think its realistic?

i havn't been following it closely enough to know what to expect.  but
i do know that the foxes are guarding the henhouse at the moment, and
when ITU acts it will be for the benefit of its members, not the general
population.

> Richard Shockey of Neustar recently told me (concerning ENUM) "there
> can be only one" (quoting The Highlander). I don't necessarily believe
> this. Any thoughts?

if you mean, will shockey and a lot of other people hate the hell out of
whoever starts a robust and functional lite-consortia e164 rendezvous
system, my answer is, "yup."

but does that mean there couldn't be a handful of them, requiring a handful
of dns queries to discover possible tdm bypasses, and resolving overlaps
and conflicts by search order, my answer is, "nope."

asterisk may be advanced in its ability to support more than one tail-domain
for this purpose, but if there were multiple e164 registries (which shockey
and others will later come to call "alternate roots") then asterisk's
competition will certainly sprout the features needed to utilize them.

the voip community has been a quiet little place but it's built on a
foundation made out of dynamite.  setting up a viable, lite-consortia based
e164 rendezvous platform would absolutely light the fuse.  dunno if that's
good or bad, or else i'd've pushed harder on this earlier, or not at all.

paul