Need for working ENUM [was Re: Welcome! ]

Hello

At 16:11 17/05/2004, Daniel Golding wrote:

I'd like to welcome everyone to VOIP-Peering, a place where we can have
discussion concerning the interconnection of VOIP networks.

Just to start the ball rolling....

- Who on the list is currently doing VOIP interconnection?

- How are you doing it? (i.e. What are the data and signaling planes used?)

- How would you like to do it?

We do various bits & pieces in the UK, using SIP, but our access to other networks is limited to those we have relationships through and normally we do it using short codes. e.g. for us to dial a pulver FWD number, customers dial **393<no> and from FWD to me you dial **4721001000.

But that isn't very effective... and it means I now have at least
two phone numbers. Ideally, we need ENUM so that I can get
44 20 7039 0000 -> 99 delegated to me (and 44 870 930 NNNN),
but I understand, in .uk at least, that the plan is to go down the
"fax a phone bill" route and have everyone have to register their
own ENUM delegation (this doesn't scale either!).

[ and BTW, the ENUM folks seem to be going at Telco speed! ]

So, what I think would be most valuable at this stage, whilst
we wait for real ENUM delegations to come along, is to implement
a decent pseudo enum... for big blocks of numbers, and then
for us to use that for settlement free SIP interconnect if the
number we want to call is available (else we'll just have to use
the PSTN).

So, I fully support the idea of e164.isc.org, as long as we can
do it as Telcos on behalf of our customers (so, for .uk, that is
upto the 10k block level!). I should think that SIP is the preferred
protocol of choice.

... and perhaps then we can also link in things like 1700 (IAXTEL.com)
and a few of the other VoIP number mappings which are around.

cheers
peter

  -- http://www.peter.me.uk/  -- http://www.voip.org.uk/ --