Re: Need for working ENUM [was Re: Welcome! ]

At 3:15 PM -0400 on 5/17/04, Blaine Christian wrote:
Just a quick response to Paul (sorry for the manufactured info but I was not
subscribed to the list until just now).

----------Attributed to Paul Vixie----------
i happen to agree about SIP, simply because that's what we use internally.
but, i'd hate to find myself in the middle of a war about it.  is the choice
of SIP noncontroversial?  or do we need two enum-like trees, one for each
protocol?  or does the NAPTR/SRV model naturally support both such that if
you find that the other end only speaks a protocol you don't speak, you can
just treat it as "no ENUM found, goto TDM"?
---------End Paul Attribution----------------

E164.org allows a variety of mappings, SIP/IAX to name two.  The idea is
pretty neat but may have some problems scaling.  You can maintain one ENUM
tree but you would have incompatible client issues in certain situations
(IAX to SIP for example).

ENUM supports as many protocols as you'd like in the same record. Your end device/system decides which protocol it would like to choose for the communication, based on the originating protocol. You can have SIP, H323, IAX, email, TEL, etc. The decision on how and why to use specific methods and in what order to use them lays in the hands of the originating gateway or device.

JT