Re: Need for working ENUM [was Re: Welcome! ]

> Whilst I am in general in favour of alt-enum proposals, it is very
> important to remember that there does have to be an element of control
> and indentification in any implementation. If I didnt have to provide
> some proof when registering a number, it would be all to easy for me
> to register your telephone number and point it to us and steal your
> client telephone calls!

i agree.  and, this is also true of native enum.  that's why i proposed
"fax us a copy of your phone bill" as a way to prove block-ownership.  if
there is another, more effective way to prove block-ownership, i am
educable.

> Just a minor point, but the 'depth' of allocation in the UK varies, 07x
> numbers are allocated at the 100,000 block level, most numbers at the 10k
> block, but some geographic, 0800 and 0844 numbers at the 1k level.

this i knew.

> Also, consider these situations:
>
> a) You have a telephone number you wish to integrate into the alt-enum
> system, but your provider at the 10k level doesnt want to participate?

this works.

> b) Your provider participates at the 10k level and won't subdelgate?

this doesn't work.

> c) You get a 'full number' delegation because of (a), but then your provider
> wants to take over at the 10k level.

it works until your provider enters the picture.

in dns, as in e164, autonomy is hierarchical.  you can only do what your
parent allows.