Re: Need for working ENUM [was Re: Welcome! ]

> > Whilst I am in general in favour of alt-enum proposals, it is very
> > important to remember that there does have to be an element of control
> > and indentification in any implementation. If I didnt have to provide
> > some proof when registering a number, it would be all to easy for me
> > to register your telephone number and point it to us and steal your
> > client telephone calls!
>
> i agree.  and, this is also true of native enum.  that's why i proposed
> "fax us a copy of your phone bill" as a way to prove block-ownership.  if
> there is another, more effective way to prove block-ownership, i am
> educable.

On the single number applications, I believe e164.org use a 'callback'
authentication system, i.e. if you can be reached on that number then you
are assumed to be the owner.

Just to reaffirm my comments above, I think that
control/identification/authentication is so important, whilst at a 'hobby'
level it is great to say 'hey lets throw away all those telco rules', in
reality a telephone number 'locator' service is only useful if the level of
trust in the database is high enough. Certainly as a telco, we would not
want to route calls via any system if we had any doubt that the calls might
go to the right subscriber.

> > Just a minor point, but the 'depth' of allocation in the UK varies, 07x
> > numbers are allocated at the 100,000 block level, most numbers at the
10k
> > block, but some geographic, 0800 and 0844 numbers at the 1k level.
>
> this i knew.

This was more of a comment to the earlier poster than your (Paul's) own
proposal - I guess what I was getting at was that for 'block' rules there
should be no fixed size, anyone, whether telco or subscriber should be able
to obtain control for any number block *if they can prove* that they have a
right to it.

Linus