Re: VoIP peering: contradiction in terms

At
In response to Paul Vixie's comment about an alternate e.164 registry, there are guys in Australia who are already starting something close (but not exactly) - see http://www.e164.org/ - well meaning, but ultimately will collapse under the weight of it's own success.

Collapse under the weight that nobody cares... its the multiple root issue in different clothing. This has been going on for years now.

Of course, as should be fairly obvious, ENUM is just a kludge until we've got phones that dial with email-style (user@domain.tld) addressing. I'm not sure that kludge will go away in any of our lifetimes, given the number of 12-digit keypads currently on the planet.

Actually you can buy them .. try the SNOM 200 .. it has a built in HTTP interface that permits SIP AOR addressing nice device ..these will all be mass market in Fry's and Circuit City in 18-24 months.

But you are essentially correct phone numbers are here to stay for a while. The difficulty as Paul points out is that we had to make a concession to the ITU on e164.arpa that the administrative policies re the domain would be a nation state matter.

Private trees will co-exist with e164.arpa for some time IMHO.

Trip is not even useful for intra-domain routing unless you happen to be a BGP expert which most PBX administrators are not .

What is OSP and why isn't everyone running it? (I have the answer to the first question, but not the second - anyone else here know?)

OSP ..Open Settlements Protocol !!!!! it came from the ITU for goodness sake... why do we need reciprocal comp for end to end VoIP its a major kludge otherwise.

JT

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>