Re: e164.isc.org strengths (was Re: Getting NANPA to designate a non-geographic area code?)

> > > What is the life cycle of the ISC root?
> >
> > when the people who asked us to add stuff tell us to take it out, we
> > would.  (unless it's on a term agreement like three years or
> > whatever, in which case it would die if not renewed, unless it's
> > taken out sooner by request.)
>
> Paul - I think that your method is going to work better to get on the E.164
> path (instead of e164.org).  I was very intrigued about e164.org when I
> first heard about it, but it seems to work for individuals only.  If I
> wanted to push a business through their callback methodology, I'd have to
> sit in front of every phone and sign them all up.

I wondered about that.  (www.e164.org has been telling me to come back later
when I've tried to register, so I didn't know what would happen with my DID
block of 100 adjacent numbers.)

> With your method, I can send you the bill that indicates what DID's my
> business owns, and when they expire.  I do agree with some of the
> others that it does seem to be a lot of work on your part, however
> (i.e. someone made the comment of $35 / work order).

I'm concerned that the power of DNS is not being applied to the needs of ENUM,
and that whereas I will want 3.1.3.2.4.0.5.6.1.e164.arpa to be delegated to
me with some NS RRs so that I can control my per-number SRV/NAPTR/whatever by
editing local zone files and hitting the "reload" button on my name server,
the people who control 1.e164.arpa (or 0.5.6.1.e164.arpa or whatever) will
want me to register each of my SRV/NAPTR/whatever RRs with them.  If you're
correct that this is how e164.org works, then that pretty much answers my
previous question ("why isn't e164.org taking the world by storm?")

But wait, there's more.  This whole business of authentication and photoshop
has got me wondering whether a split registry/registrar, like .COM uses, would
be a better approach.  I feel completely qualified to run DNS and EPP servers
(since ISC publishes free software called BIND and OpenReg and we know how to
run it in production).  Should we be trying to sign up registrars who will
sign indemnity-heavy contracts promising to only register number blocks whose
ownership is clear (and clearly, exclusively, desiring of registration)?  ISC
would be happier having other folks front-end the "customer" part of all this.

> I think it's a little too early to say that e164.org hasn't taken off,
> yet, no?  But on the same token, myself and others would appreciate
> alternatives.

So far, exactly one small telco in UK has sent me mail privately saying that
they were interested in an ISC-operated enum registry.  Maybe there are more?