Re: e164.isc.org strengths (was Re: Getting NANPA to designate a non-geographic area code?)

Paul Vixie wrote:
I wondered about that.  (www.e164.org has been telling me to come back later
when I've tried to register, so I didn't know what would happen with my DID
block of 100 adjacent numbers.)

It (as in the website not the name servers) was only down for a short time yesterday as we were adding features to the website and zone and we didn't want people being able to get half way through registering for it to fail on them... We can operate the whole service for literally cents in the dollar, but

I'm concerned that the power of DNS is not being applied to the needs of ENUM,
and that whereas I will want 3.1.3.2.4.0.5.6.1.e164.arpa to be delegated to
me with some NS RRs so that I can control my per-number SRV/NAPTR/whatever by
editing local zone files and hitting the "reload" button on my name server,
the people who control 1.e164.arpa (or 0.5.6.1.e164.arpa or whatever) will
want me to register each of my SRV/NAPTR/whatever RRs with them.  If you're
correct that this is how e164.org works, then that pretty much answers my
previous question ("why isn't e164.org taking the world by storm?")

We never said we wouldn't register blocks, we just haven't implemented an automated method of adding blocks yet, we are working for free and have a number of goals that exist beyond just voip.

When we initially announced that were were supporting PSTN numbers we had 1 small telco ask for block registration, maybe we weren't posting to the right list...

For block registration my current thinking is you prove the first and last number in the range and that should be enough to prove you control the range, this can be automated without all the mess of forged faxes, the moment you involve a human is the moment you open yourself up to social engineering especially if you end up with 10000 employees that just don't give a damn either way who has control over a block of numbers... I can't see the fax method working, it's too easy to abuse and then you open yourself up to any number of lawsuits...

Since the larger Telco's are so against a public system for toll by-pass I think the number of blocks getting submitted, at least in the beginning, will be people like yourself with a 100 number DID range, so 2 calls and a little data entry to the website...

But wait, there's more.  This whole business of authentication and photoshop
has got me wondering whether a split registry/registrar, like .COM uses, would
be a better approach.  I feel completely qualified to run DNS and EPP servers
(since ISC publishes free software called BIND and OpenReg and we know how to
run it in production).  Should we be trying to sign up registrars who will
sign indemnity-heavy contracts promising to only register number blocks whose
ownership is clear (and clearly, exclusively, desiring of registration)?  ISC
would be happier having other folks front-end the "customer" part of all this.

I've been banging my head trying to work out how to reply to your email sent to me off the list about this, I can't see how the TLD DNS model can be directly applied, DNS is a new registration which you tag an email address as the authoritative person...

With enum you are dealing with people that have an existing number and need to prove without a doubt you are setting the right details up in the database, like the registry/registrar model the more registrars the more likely someone can pinch the numbers by sending an inter-registrar request and verisign have proved well beyond a doubt how well to abuse that system and virtually walk away scot-free...

So far, exactly one small telco in UK has sent me mail privately saying that
they were interested in an ISC-operated enum registry.  Maybe there are more?

Only the small telco's see a benefit in this they are willing to leverage, the larger ones are frightened of their competition finding out their number ranges/slamming their customers/whatever else...

--
Best regards,
 Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!