Re: Getting NANPA to designate a non-geographic area code?

> > > Ultimately the marketplace could decide what these calls are billed as.
> >
> > for example, when one voip-attached person dials another, they'll
> > pay only their monthly DSL fee.  i guess that's why this is taking
> > so long: "please start registering stuff under .e164.arpa so you can
> > go out of business" is just not a compelling suggestion.
>
> You have identified the crux of the matter.  The conversion to a VoIP
> network will cause loss of revenue for incumbents who currently "own"
> phone numbers, so some people in those organizations could (possibly
> correctly) interpret ENUM as a threat.  So, taxes and fees start to be
> associated with number sub-delegation, ...

with apologies to john gilmore and others, "the internet interprets taxes
and fees as damage, and routes around them."  whether incumbants deserve
investment protection is at best a national decision -- but the internet's
scope is humanity, not any nation or any group of nations.

>                                    ... which may actually speed up the
> erosion of traditional services once some critical mass is reached
> with ENUM deployment.  "Pay $15 a month for my Los Angeles number?  I
> could just pay $1 a month for a number in Canada, and the calls come
> through just the same, and those guys in Canada offer this neat ENUM
> service..."

i hope that you are right but i fear that your scenario has been anticipated.