RE: VOIP Peering Questions

I see a few VoIP peering mechanisms that appear to be in use at this time.

One mechanism would be the use of ENUM where there is "ownership" of the
relative locations/applications of many end users.

The other one would be the use of SIP to actually arrange calls between VoIP
providers.  I suspect IAX is not used quite so heavily as SIP <g>.

At this point ENUM seems to be a pretty disruptive force for the VoIP
providers as it allows call setup between end stations thus negating a per
minute billing model.  There appears to be significant push from the larger
VoIP providers to lock the end users into VoIP to analog adaptors which
counteracts the potential of ENUM at the end users level.

I find it interesting that folks have created ENUM mechanisms at, at least,
one VoIP peering exchange though.  Perhaps ENUM private peering is a
workable model.  I certainly see value in using DNS to push SIP peering
connectivity around.

For the Internet it just took some time to develop a level of trust that the
other providers announcements were not going to break you.  I suspect that
VoIP providers have come a long way in that regard as I see several VoIP
providers have made their respective networks reachable to each other.

All that said I am an outsider to the VoIP peering process (although I have
been doing Internet peering for quite a while).  It would be fascinating to
hear from someone more attuned to the process.

Regards,

Blaine