RE: VOIP Peering Questions

At 10:51 AM 6/1/2004, Blaine Christian wrote:

I see a few VoIP peering mechanisms that appear to be in use at this time.

One mechanism would be the use of ENUM where there is "ownership" of the
relative locations/applications of many end users.

The other one would be the use of SIP to actually arrange calls between VoIP
providers.  I suspect IAX is not used quite so heavily as SIP <g>.

At this point ENUM seems to be a pretty disruptive force for the VoIP
providers as it allows call setup between end stations thus negating a per
minute billing model.

Like Duh :-) If the call is IP end to end why would there be a per minute billing model? If the call must terminate on the PSTN then yes there is a legitimate reason for a "billling event"

There appears to be significant push from the larger
VoIP providers to lock the end users into VoIP to analog adaptors which
counteracts the potential of ENUM at the end users level.

Not necessiarily wait 6 months and you can buy ATA's from a dozen companies to work with the VoIP providers and or preform a ENUM resolution in the adapter itself. ATA's are quickly becoming comsumer products.

I find it interesting that folks have created ENUM mechanisms at, at least,
one VoIP peering exchange though.  Perhaps ENUM private peering is a
workable model.  I certainly see value in using DNS to push SIP peering
connectivity around.

Which is what is happening, however at some point in order to achieve the real economies of scale and universal end to end peering there will have to be one root.

For the Internet it just took some time to develop a level of trust that the
other providers announcements were not going to break you.  I suspect that
VoIP providers have come a long way in that regard as I see several VoIP
providers have made their respective networks reachable to each other.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>