RE: VOIP Peering Questions

> Like Duh :-)  If the call is IP end to end why would there be a
> per minute billing model?

I know you intended that as a rhetorical question, but the reason
is scaracity.  If there is a scarce resource:

  * ports on a PSTN switch
  * water, gasoline, natural gas
  * IP bandwidth
  * IP bandwidth of quality sufficient for realtime voice or
    video communications
  * ports on a DSLAM

then it's legitimate to bill (or tax) for that resource *in some manner*.

The difficulty is in identifying what resources are, in fact, scarce and
will remain so, and building a business around it.  Everything points to IP
bandwidth being a non-scarce resource, but we aren't _quite_ to having
everything point to quality IP bandwidth being a non-scare resource.

> If the call must terminate on the PSTN then
> yes there is a legitimate reason for a "billling event"

-d