Re: last mile prioritization (was Re: Enterprise VoIP Peering Point? )

> Given protocols seem to take longer to design and deploy (a point
> you've made before) than new companies can pop up, raise piles of cash
> in a boom, build a huge fiber network and go bust, I wonder whether we
> are safe in the assumption that middle congestion isn't going to be a
> factor at any time within the near-term protocol design window. IE may
> be we are lucky enough not to need to worry about middle congestion
> now on most routes, but we need to think about how to do it lest it
> become a problem before we have a protocol ready to tackle it.

my experience to date tells me two things.

first, this is fertile ground, and companies like caspian will continue
getting founded and funded and ipo'd as long as it remains unsolved,
which is to say, probably forever.

second, there are butt-ugly workarounds, like interprovider tunnels or
even private peering connections, which will be used to put out the
occasional fires that occur in this area.