From: owner-voip-peering@psg.com [mailto:owner-voip-peering@psg.com] On
Behalf Of Richard Shockey
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 1:54 PM
To: William B. Norton; sheap@rfidexchange.com; voip-peering@psg.com
Subject: RE: Fall VON Session on VoIP Peering

At 01:26 PM 10/5/2004, William B. Norton wrote:

>Steve - have you seen a white paper on VOIP Peering in particular?  I'm
>curious about the economics, the motivations, the process, etc.

Could someone actually define VoIP peering ?  In what context is the term
of art used ..IP to PSTN,

PSTN to PSTN,  PSTN to IP ?

If it IP to IP I don't know what people are talking about.

If I'm using a SIP URI to call someone with another SIP URI there is no
extraordinary issue here ..its straight IP transit and peering.

Now if its a Vonage customer trying to reach a ATT CallVantage customer or
COX to Comcast that is another issue ..since neither of them can translate
their internal URI to a form the other can read....aka RFC3716

>Bill
>
>At 11:41 AM 10/5/2004 -0400, Steve Heap wrote:
>>I'm speaking at the session - I can give you one view of what went on!
>>
>>Steve
>>
>>--------------------------------------
>>
>>  Steve Heap
>>  Chief Technology Officer
>>
>>  Arbinet
>>  460 Herndon Parkway
>>  Herndon, VA 20170
>>
>>  +1.703 456 4105 Phone
>>  +1 703 456 4123 Fax
>>  sheap@arbinet.com

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives NeuStar
Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141@fwd.pulver.com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1
815.333.1237 <mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or
<mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>