From: owner-voip-peering@psg.com [mailto:owner-voip-peering@psg.com] On
Behalf Of Ron Dallmeier
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 1:37 AM
To: 'VoIP Peering'
Subject: Re: Peering Presentation

I looked over your presentation.

In my opinion, the interim peering issues only relate to hand off to the
PSTN, which is too set in its ways to change easily. Telcos have a interest
in keeping their revenue streams as long as possible.

However, let's examine VOIP to VOIP peering. I believe that service
providers have an obligation to provide service for their clients in both
directions inbound and outbound. There should be no commercial peering as
the client will expect that they will be easily/inexpensively be reached by
other users (collegues, friends and relatives). The barrier to enter this
market is quite low. We will/are seeing many new entrants (much like the
early days of ISPs). The market will rapidly migrate to the most effective
delivery model.

In fact, I believe the barrier will become so low that it will not be that
much different than running an email server. Phone numbers will become
obsolete. People will phone each other by their unique email address. SIP
phones will eventually simply grab the SRV record for the SIP server from
the domain name. The SIP server will track the IP for the destination SIP
phone or provide voice mail if it is not available.

Therefore, we are challenged with supporting what is likely to be many
methods to bridge this gap of the PSTN and VOIP until more than 50% of users
are running SIP. At that point, SIP becomes the 900lb gorilla and the PSTN
providers will have to succumb and provide non-commercial peering as well.
DIDs (phone numbers) to VOIP users are really just aliases that can be
entered easily on a traditional handset. Area codes, etc, make phone numbers
not as portable as your own email and domain name. They are not as easy to
remember and generally less desirable.

Effort could be put into developing a protocol for SIP phones to access
online personal directories much like the way webmail keeps your address
book. However, this could also become obsolete fast. Consider the web
browser capabilites of today's cell phones. It is obvious that because a
VOIP handset is connected to the Internet it may as well offer a limited
browser or XML lookup features back to your server.

...Ron