From: owner-voip-peering@psg.com [mailto:owner-voip-peering@psg.com] On
Behalf Of Ron Dallmeier
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 2:10 AM
To: 'VoIP Peering'
Subject: RE: Peering Presentation

I agree with what you are saying.

Again I will draw a comparison to email. Many individuals and even smaller
companies are not interested in running their own email servers. ISPs that
bundle VOIP packages with access will be a common method. But they will not
be free to charge whatever they think the market will bare. Instead,
competition will drive the price down to near cost. With the exception of
interim fees related to PSTN gateways, costs are not very high.

VOIP will not be a new source of revenue for existing telcos but a more
efficient way to deliver voice. It will clearly errode existing revenue.

How important is email to most of us? I would say 'very important'. If I had
to, I would pay a lot of money to maintain this communication. But I do not
have to because it is so efficient that it costs so little. It is either not
worth accounting for, or it can be covered by advertising revenue.

I think that VOIP will follow this trend. Sure, people are prepared to pay
$20 to send and recieve voice calls. But if the Internet ends up making this
very efficient, another provider will compete at $15, then $10, then $5,
then virtually free.

...Ron