From: Dave Siegel [mailto:dave@siegelie.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 12:39 PM
To: Steve Heap
Cc: 'Irwin Lazar'; 'VoIP Peering'
Subject: Re: DUNDi

Well, it wouldn't be necessary for the end-user to be involved in this.

What if a carrier chose to tap DUNDi to see if a route was available before
alt routing to a known IP vendor, before alt routing to a known TDM vendor?

Any time you get options for terminating a call in an enhanced fashion, a
carrier should be highly interested in that.  This can all happen behind the
curtain, invisible to the end-user.

Dave

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:49:03PM -0400, Steve Heap reportedly typed:
> Irwin
>
> Interesting - I hadn't heard of this development.
>
> However, I think this is at the geeky end of the market place - the
> majority of customers don't mind paying $19.95 per month for unlimited
> phone service in the US, Canada and Western Europe with voice mail and
> caller ID included. To then take this one step further to make some PC
> driven look-up into a database to find that you can connect to a
> friend for nothing is not what 80% of the population will do. I'm
> semi-geeky, and I don't think I will do that. I have Skype, but use my
> normal VoIP phone to call friends as it is much easier to do that that
> see if they are logged into Skype.
>
> I think the general direction will be for service providers to
> continue to provide services to end users, and for those service
> providers to look for ways to reduce costs - partly to make cash flow
> positive businesses and partly to continue to reduce costs to end
> users. They will use private and "infrastructure" peering arrangements
> to do that.
>
> I do have my PowerPoint slides ready for presentation at VON this week
> - am I allowed to send an attachment to the group?
>
> Steve

Dave Siegel                     http://www.siegelie.com/people/dsiegel/
Oro Valley, AZ

Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the
walk before it stops snowing.
                -- Phyllis Diller