	Von: Alex Bligh [mailto:alex@alex.org.uk]
	Gesendet: Fr 22.10.2004 23:56
	An: Randy Bush
	Cc: Antonio Querubin; VoIP Peering; Alex Bligh
	Betreff: Re: DUNDi

	--On 22 October 2004 09:41 -0700 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

	>> Yes, I know that doesn't work on normal phones
	>
	> for backward compatibilty with the nuckle draggers, could the entry for
	> foo@bar.baz not chain to enum and then maybe even <gasp!> a pots gate?

	There is (I think) something missing here. I want to call
	joe.doe@example.com. He has an email account, and knows how to get stuff
	into DNS. Sadly, his monopoly incumbant telco is of the knuckle dragging
	persuasion and thus has neither DSL grade connectivity nor available ENUM
	delegation. You have to call him on +1 234 567 8901 - POTS (alternatively
	he's at his house in the country and can only get POTS there). But he wants
	his less unfortunate friends to be able to call him at
	sip:joe.doe@example.com. IE the entry for sip:joe.doe@example.com needs to
	get to +12345678901. Chaining through ENUM here is unhelpful, as it leads
	to a dead end. In such circumstances, it's MORE useful for him to have his
	SIP address forward straight to (something like) tel:+12345678901 rather
	than try 1.0.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.e164.arpa., coz no entry is going to be
	there. IE ENUM is actually not helpful here AFAICT.

	But the real problem is in the other direction. Joe Doe is stuck with his
	phone with digits 0-9 on and now wants to call sip:randy@psg.com. He can't
	type that. It's reasonable difficult to get there even through a 1-800
	gateway and touchtone unless it's a "MyDirectory" type service. But as
	I said, ENUM doesn't help here either, esp not ENUM alternate roots.

	Alex