Re: DUNDi

> There is (I think) something missing here. I want to call
> joe.doe@example.com. He has an email account, and knows how to get stuff
> into DNS. Sadly, his monopoly incumbant telco is of the knuckle dragging
> persuasion and thus has neither DSL grade connectivity nor available ENUM
> delegation. You have to call him on +1 234 567 8901 - POTS (alternatively
> he's at his house in the country and can only get POTS there). But he wants
> his less unfortunate friends to be able to call him at
> sip:joe.doe@example.com. IE the entry for sip:joe.doe@example.com needs to
> get to +12345678901. Chaining through ENUM here is unhelpful, as it leads
> to a dead end. In such circumstances, it's MORE useful for him to have his
> SIP address forward straight to (something like) tel:+12345678901 rather
> than try 1.0.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.e164.arpa., coz no entry is going to be
> there. IE ENUM is actually not helpful here AFAICT.

yep, i.e. joe should have an rr with the rubbish that can be passed to
the caller's pstn gateway.

> But the real problem is in the other direction. Joe Doe is stuck with his
> phone with digits 0-9 on and now wants to call sip:randy@psg.com. He can't
> type that.

amurikans have a saying "get a horse."  it means that, if you want
to get there, you'll need to do something other than walk.

in this case, i can imagine a service which is reached by the few
remaining antique rural pots users who get a device which dials
the service and then lets them enter real data.  or maybe it'll
just be joe's palmtop.

> It's reasonable difficult to get there even through a 1-800
> gateway and touchtone unless it's a "MyDirectory" type service. But as
> I said, ENUM doesn't help here either, esp not ENUM alternate roots.

sorry.  i never meant to imply that i was any sort of enum supporter.
i regret assisting the design, but did not realize my stupidity until
mankin applied the clue-by-four.  who the heck needs to look up phone
numbers in the dns?  jeez!

randy