	Von: Duane [mailto:duane@e164.org]
	Gesendet: Sa 23.10.2004 12:08
	An: Alex Bligh
	Cc: Stastny Richard; Randy Bush; Antonio Querubin; VoIP Peering
	Betreff: Re: DUNDi

Alex Bligh wrote:

> I don't actually think the ITU (w.r.t. e.164 numbering) is necessarily
> the pointy horned creature with forked tail that some people portray
> it as, but suggesting e.164 (with competitive / alternate root etc.)
> is going to break the tie to e.164 / ITU numbering is daft. We already
> have that - just don't use ENUM.

My reasoning for enum is quite simple, in the next 5 to 10 years (at
least) people will want to stick with what's familiar, after all 100
years of "phone numbers" is going to be a difficult mind set for some to
deal with if it suddenly changed tomorrow. While most phones might be in
fact VoIP devices in the next 5 to 10 years, how many incumbent monopoly
telcos are likely to let them be addressable by anything but existing
numbering plans? Whether we like it or not numbers are he to stay for
quite some time. If you want a good example of mind set, most people
here where possible get their PABXs to sound like the normal phone
network because they can't deal with it sounding like something
completely different.

I think if anything mobile phones and "smart" cordless phones might be
the first to shift once they include a SIP component and you don't have
to deal with entering email like addresses in all the time, for the most
part entering an email like address into a phone for a one off basis
will be highly inefficient unless you have a better lookup system to
link people to phones, at this stage the simplest solution is still
numbers as it saves you from requiring a PDA to make phone calls with.
People like smallish phones, only geeks and people wanting to save on
expensive phone calls want 101 key computers to make quick phone calls
with, so getting better interfaces will be highly important to breaking
the mind shift.

Finally people will be mightily ticked off in future if geographically
representing numbers is no more, others and myself have had numerous
calls at 3am coming in via fat finger dialing/wrong numbers, if the cost
is reduced and there is no easy way to distinguish where a person in
relation to their time zone then this trend will only increase. Another
similar example in Australia is the fact that mobile phone numbers
aren't geographical based, this of course let the telcos charge crap
loads for calls but that's another matter, but people often call wrong
numbers and get someone on the opposite side of the country without
realising it. For another kicker, the main telco used to charge by distance.

I'm not advocating the ITU or any other telcos, but the fact is numbers
are a good way of co-existing with almost every other phone on the
planet at this point in time, rather then trying to make existing
infrastructure fit in with geek idealism. However DNS makes a good,
scalable flat file database, it is already implemented in a lot of
devices/software and it just plain works.

--

Best regards,
Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else.
I only try to dance better than myself."