Re: DUNDi

Forrest W. Christian wrote:

The DUNDi system seems a little better in this regard since the
decentralized nature permits me to "announce" my telco numbers to the VoIP
world without involving the Telco.  Of course, if enum is structured such
that I can change my records without involving the telco, that advantage
evaporates.

But Dundi isn't the solution for this, it certainly won't do what you're hoping it will. The question is how long before script kiddies start announcing your route to other people to some sex chat line, rerouting political numbers to their opposition or any other number of fun things to do on a friday night when you have no life.

The fact is without some form or centralisation or checks and balances you can't trust anyone outside your little ring of immediate friends. This means that dundi will only be useful for voip providers and enterprise wanting an easish way to distribute their dialing plan, it won't be useful in the medium to long term for the general public.

What's more the decentralised nature means each call probes every server, so instead of probing one server and getting an authoritive response it could be bounced across the entire network for every call, short term this would have no impact, what about 1 billion calls, or 10 billion calls, potentially there could be more traffic for finding numbers then actually voice calls.

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else.
	I only try to dance better than myself."