Re: Analysis script for my log output

At 09:53 17/10/2000 -0700, hardie@equinix.com wrote:
>Through Verio, we're getting to embratel through C & W; through the
>Mae-West connection, we're getting to switch.ch through abovenet and
>ip-plus.net. I've attached gifs of the charts for the last week or so
>of data.  Looking it at it, I've realized that we're not getting a
>great mapping between when the exceed times are reached and the
>traceroute results.  To handle that, I've asked our network management
>group to fire a modified version of Harald's script as an automation
>whenever it sees a failure.  That should give us a good mapping in
>the next few weeks.

The number of flips between * and embratel on the next-to-last router seems
to indicate that you are getting packet loss on that link.
What's your retransmission strategy on DNS probes? My root-monitor scripts
see a large cluster at 5 seconds response time - that's when the second
retransmission goes out....

Debugging packet networks is SO easy....NOT!

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94