Re: Standards for IP stats collection? (corrected)

I have weighed in with opinions on this subject before, so again --
IP statistics collection can be divided into two areas:
Traffic characteristics, and
Performance characteristics.
The IPPM wg as well as ITU Y.1540/1541 focus almost exclusively on the second
area.
Unless te-wg or ccamp can give greater effort in the first area, there is truly
a hole in the
fabric of traffic engineering, IMHO.
Blaine's draft, which I am contributing to, seems to be a possibile point to
start.
One point I return to (ad nauseum, I know) is the need to understand
traffic characteristics on time scales as small as seconds.
15-minute intervals were fine for best-effort.
Not so fine anymore, I think.

--
http://www.makesystems.com

begin:vcard
n:Tibbs;Richard
tel;cell:919.412.4129
tel;home:919.787.4387
tel;work:919.412.4129
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:rtibbs@ieee.org
adr;quoted-printable:;;3408 Cherry Lane=0D=0A;Raleigh;NC;27607;
fn:Dr. Richard Tibbs
end:vcard